- This event has passed.
Biobuilder Synthetic Biology Workshop
July 10, 2019 - July 12, 2019
Synthetic Biology – STEM
Professional Development Workshop at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
You are invited to the BioBuilder 3-day workshop at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, NC. This professional development opportunity prepares educators to bring biological engineering and synthetic biology into their classrooms and laboratories.
This workshop will be held July 10 – 12, 2019. Full details available here.
The workshop will include:
- Lectures that connect the science, technology, engineering, and math aspects of these fields.
- Labs and classroom activities taught from the online www.BioBuilder.org resource and the BioBuilder textbook published by O’Reilly.
- Discussion with members of the university research community.
- Activities that address human practice questions such as the safety, security, economics and wisdom of engineering novel biological systems.
- Activities that address the nuts and bolts of running a BioBuilderClub or iGEM team.
- Attendees receive a copy of the BioBuilder textbook, all workshop classroom materials in ready to use formats, lunch each day, and a certificate of completion.
Who should apply? This workshop is intended for:
- High school and middle school Biology and STEM teachers, including those looking for new ways to teach the AP content or for compelling material to teach college-bound students.
- College-level instructors looking for classroom and lab curricula to include in a biotechnology-style class.
- Science Club leaders, in particular anyone looking for ways to bring cuttingedge content to students with a variety of interests from math to biology to electronics.
Scholarships are avaialbel for this workshop! Those who are awarded a scholarship will need to pay only a $50 deposit, and the remainder of the workshop cost will be covered by the scholarship.The scholarship application is available here.